Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Everything Old is New Again!

I am in a "repurpose" mood. I see all sorts of projects that interest me and involve repurposing old things. I'm constantly looking at the things in my closets and drawers and asking "How can I use that for something else?" Pinterest may be the death of me, but already, I've discovered ideas for making toddler leggings from old t-shirts and sweats.

Now that the holidays are over and I have all my Christmas decorations put away for another year, I've turned my attention to some long-neglected sewing projects. And it's all about the babies! I've been turning antique crochet doilies into jackets and bibs... vintage embroidered table runners into jackets... and vintage bed sheets into dresses and jackets. I even combined pieces of a bed sheet with a pair of seersucker pants my grandmother no longer wanted to create a darling spring ensemble - jacket and dress - for a 12-month-old!
Next on my list?  A pair of old Levis jeans will become a jacket, a beautiful chocolate-brown velour skirt from the thrift store will be a dress for my cousin, Olivia (with possibly a matching vest and bow-tie for her little brother, Owen), and more beautiful dresses and jackets created from vintage linens. 

For Christmas, I fashioned bath robes for my toddler boys (great-nephew and cousin) from fabric remnants and a long ladies skirt that I purchased at a local thrift store.  I think both turned out darling, especially paired with cotton pajama pants in a colorful train motif!  I hope to make more robes out of vintage chenille bedspreads soon.

Several of my items are listed for sale in my Etsy shop, This Reminds Me.  I am even thinking of opening an Etsy shop just to showcase the items for children and babies.  Stay tuned for more details!

No comments: